History of the commercial airfield Donaueschingen
In March 1959, the airfield Donaueschingen-Villingen GmbH was founded and the commercial airfield at Weiherhof on the federal roads B27/B33 was put into operation.
In 1960 already, the permission as a customs airfield was granted. The landing weight of aircrafts was set at 5.7 tons at that time. Even then, representatives of the cities of Villingen and Donaueschingen and representatives of local industry set themselves the goal of connecting the Schwarzwald-Baar-Heuberg region to the air traffic network.
Between 1982 and 1984 a safety upgrade was carried out: The runway was extended by 400 meters to a total length of 1,290 meters and widened from 20 to 30 meters.
The glider field was relocated and the construction protection area was redefined.
The supporters of the commercial airfield are the cities of Donaueschingen and Villingen-Schwenningen, the districts of Schwarzwald-Baar and Tuttlingen, the Chamber of Industry and Commerce and the princely house of Fürstenberg.
In 2003, instrument flight operations were introduced with airspace F. This made the Donaueschingen commercial airfield a reliable partner for the large commercial enterprises in the region. At the same time, it is an attractive location for the activities of the Schwarzwald-Baar Air Sports Association.
2012: New hangar: The old hangar next to the Hotel Concorde was torn down and replaced by a new modern hangar. The Federal Police has also rented premises here.
2015: Airspace F was replaced by a RMZ (Radio Mandatory Zone) in the course of the new airspace structure SERA.
2016: Construction of two new round hangars in the northern part of the airfield. Modern parking spaces for approx. 15 aircraft were created here.
Today, the traffic mix consists of business and private aviation with a total of approx. 25-30,000 aircraft movements per year.